Symptoms of Herpes Simplex

One of the most common venereal diseases out there is the Herpes simplex virus. It is known to be comprised of two separate types of DNA viruses which are HSV-1 and HSV-2 respectively. The former (HSV-1) is the type which is known to cause oral lesions in approximately 80% of the diagnosed cases and the remaining 20% are reserved for the genital lesions. Statistics show that the general adult population has serologic infection with HSV-1 which means that the antibodies are targeted in this type of infection.

The statistic is that 30% of these individuals have clinical observable outbreaks. The 20% of the adult population in the United States is seropositive for HSV-2 and it has been estimated that the indirect and direct expenditures for incident HSV genital infection in the area of the United States are presently pegged at roughly $1.8 billion and is expected to rise to around $2.7 billion when the year 2015 comes.

The Herpes viruses are known to cause several diseases which include the following: Gingivostomatitis, which gives someone a sore mouth, Keratoconjunctivitis; or dryness and infection of the cornea and conjunctiva; encephalitis, which is inflammation of the brain caused by the virus, genital diseases and finally it can affect newborn babies and increase the complications that the child has during its early stages of development.

The primary infections that are related to Herpes simplex virus are usually quite mild and there are many cases in which they are actually asymptomatic. If there should be patients who may be immunocompromised, they may develop acute infections which may entail the infection of multiple organ systems. Immunocompetent individuals also may have severe primary infections.

Pathophysiological nature in which the HSV-1 infections are spread is via the respiratory system through droplets or direct exposure to infected saliva. The HSV-2 type, however, is usually transmitted via direct genital contact. This type of contact must involve mucous membranes or open or damaged skin for it to be considered a substantial type of contact enough for the virus to be transferred to another person.

The infection begins with the prodromal symptoms of burning or itching sensations in the places of infection. This is also the time when lesions and other constitutional signs and symptoms appear. It is a time when the lesions combine together and they are known to be very painful.

Recurrent lesions are common and upon consulation, the patient may eventually give a medical history that may prove to have previous undiagnosed herpetic conditions, malnourishment, hematological malignancies, bone marrow or renal transplant and HIV infection. Neurologic symptoms may include headache, fever and confusion. For the lesions, the locations vary and it may involve tenesmus with itching of anal and perianal lesions, oral lesions and sore throat and finally dysuria or painful urination with genital lesions.

These are just a few of the symptoms of the Herpes Simplex Virus. There are more things that the average person must be able to know about HSV-1 and HSV-2 so it would be a good thing to book an appointment with your doctor if you think you might be having any of the prodromal symptoms or suspect that you might have it. In the end, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

 
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.